Are you already working in Scotland’s Electrical Engineering industry? Do you wish to enhance your career progression? Do you want to deepen your knowledge and develop your skills?
The HNC Electrical Engineering award is designed to develop and deepen your knowledge of Electrical Engineering. This programme will develop your ability to analyse and solve electrical engineering problems, and to apply knowledge, understanding and skills to electrical circuits, power systems, electrical machines and safety systems. It will also develop your practical skills in using electrical and electronic equipment.
What you will learn
You will build up a wide understanding of Electrical Engineering theory, plus you will be able to perform hands on hardware and software practical work with electrical and electronic instruments and programmable logic controllers.
Course topics include:
- Electrical Principles
- Electrical Machines
- Power Systems
- Three Phase Systems
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- High Voltage Electrical Safety
- Network Analysis
Applications of Electrical and Electronic Instruments
There are 4 ways you can join our course:
- 1 Higher at grade C or above – should include Mathematics or Physics OR
- One Technical higher at Grade C and National 5 Maths at grade C OR
- A NC or an NQ in an appropriate Engineering subject OR
- Successful achievement of a Foundation Apprenticeship Engineering award OR
- Learners with relevant industrial experience and qualifications (e.g SVQs) – we are happy to consider applications
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
Candidates without formal qualifications may be asked to demonstrate their suitability for the course.
While the course is open to candidates without formal qualifications, please list on your application any qualifications you do have and when and where you obtained them.
Students who obtain an HNC in Electrical Engineering are very welcome to apply for entry to our HND course in Electrical Engineering.
As this course is aimed at people working full time in industry it is possible to convert your HNC in to an HND on a day release and infill basis. Depending on work commitments we are happy to offer this over a period of 2 years or 3 years