Would you like to work as a Support for Learning Worker in an educational setting with a focus on supporting children and young people with additional support needs?
You can now start your career with the full time Personal Development Award in Education Support Assistance at SCQF level 6 at Glasgow Kelvin College.
What you will learn
The PDA award consists of SQA units in the following:
- Developing Professional Practice in an Education Setting: Workplace Experience
- Understanding Professional Practice in an Education Setting
- Development of Children and Young People in an Education Setting
- Supporting Children and Young People who require Additional Support for Learning
- Supporting the Behaviour of Children and Young People in an Education Setting
- Protecting and Promoting the Rights of the Child
- Working with Children and Young People with Autism in an Education Setting
- Understanding Mental Health Issues
In addition, full-time learners will study core skills in IT, Communication and Numeracy.
Classes will include lectures, group work, presentations, discussions, research and on-line learning using Moodle, the college VLE. Assessment will be a combination of class tests, research investigations and a portfolio of evidence from work based tasks.
Additional Selection Requirements – If successful, you will be invited for an interview where you will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why you are interested in this career path. If selected for interview, you will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process. You must provide two references (one from your most recent educational provider or employer).
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
If invited for interview you must bring evidence of your qualifications.
This class runs from 9 am to 3 pm
- Employment options may include Support for Learning Worker posts at primary schools, secondary schools or in ASN schools
- Learner support roles at colleges or universities
You may progress on to:
- HNC Childhood Practice
- HNC Additional Support Needs