Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHNC
Study ModePart Time
2 Days p/w
Start dateAug 2023
This course is only available to school students. Please do not apply if you do not meet this requirement.
The Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Mechanical Engineering is a unique opportunity to complete a recognised qualification within 1 year and providing you with the opportunity to progress to HND Level or University.
This course can enhance your potential prospects for employment in engineering and create opportunities for aspiring engineers and technicians. You will study the fundamental concepts of mechanical engineering including dynamics, statics, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. You will gain skills in subjects such as CAD, engineering drawing and other industry essential subjects and you will learn within the classroom, CAD laboratory and a purpose built engineering laboratory.
What you will learn
Higher National Certificate in Mechanical Engineering – SCQF level 7:
- Pneumatics & Hydraulics
- Statics and Strength of Materials
- Materials Selection
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Quality Management: An Introduction
- Engineering Principles
- Computer Aided Design
- Engineering Drawing
You must have, or are studying:
- Higher Maths or Higher Physics
You might go on to do:
- Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering
- University (Subject to university entry criteria)
- Employment as a junior technician or engineering apprentice